- 1 can chicken broth (about 1 3/4 cups of broth)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/3 c flour
- 1/4 c butter
- Pepper to taste
- 2 c milk
- 1 1/2 c shredded cheddar cheese, preferably sharp or extra sharp
- 1/2 c shredded swiss cheese (smoked swiss is very good)
- 2 1/2 to 3 c chopped, lightly steamed or blanched broccoli
- Italian Bread Bowl
- Simmer chicken broth and chopped onion for 15-20 minutes in a covered small saucepan, until onions are soft.
- Heat milk in microwave for 1-2 minutes.
- In a separate medium-sized stockpot, melt butter then add flour and pepper.
- Cook together for a couple of minutes, then whisk in warmed milk. Stir and heat together on medium-high heat until soup starts to thicken.
- Add chicken broth and continue to stir until well blended.
- Add cheeses and steamed broccoli.
- Serve immediately.